Sunday, July 1, 2007

Contest Bashing

There has been quite some bashing going on about this contest on different boards. Illustration mundo or Illustration Friday are only two sites to name a few.
Mainly the same people write negative comments on different blogs and boards and quite a few contests have been cancelled after all these negative reactions.

I´m not going to cancel the contest! Though I do understand some of their arguments I still do believe that this is a nice project and that the publishers aren´t taking advantage of anyone. In case you want to join the contest: WONDERFUL! In case you don´t agree with it: JUST IGNORE IT!

So far we have to wonderful participants and a few people who said that they would send in some images soon. I do hope to have a few more entries, so that the publisher can see some more ideas. Thanks!

3 comments:

K said...

It still doesn't bother me, Kerstin! I'm happy to participate!

AstridMueller said...

Hey Kerstin

Thanks for the invitation to the contest! I see there could be somewhat of an issue if you were making money with the project - working for free on several illustrations would be somewhat questionable. However since it's a pro bono project, I'd say you're right, whoever likes to contribute, can, and whoever not, that works too. Maybe it will be easier if you give several different illustrators the chance to participate? That way it's not quite so much work for one person. Good luck!

Thanks for your comment on my blog!
Greetings from rainy Switzerland
Astrid

Kerstin Klein said...

Hi Astrid,

Actually the publishers were only looking for 7-9 images.
But Arindam brought up the idea to draw portraits of the authors. In that case a few more illustrations would be needed.
And I belive that could be a neat idea to let different artists participate with one or two portraits each. I really do like the idea and I´ll let the publishers know about it.
(In that case I could maybe also join in on the fun. I didn´t want to do own illustrations for this contest, as I´m organizing it.)